Speaking, Singing, or Chanting about Nursery Rhymes...

  Studying speech and language pathology I had heard again and again about the fact that babies love language, and that they really appreciate rhymes.  They love rhymes so, they would all say!  I believed them.  But not until I had my third child did I decide to take the experts up on the rhyming piece in a black and white  nursery rhyme sort of way.  So my daughter heard the frequent recital of this rhyme at diaper changes, bedtime, playtime, any old time:

To Market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again home again jiggedy jig!

To market to market to buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again, jiggedy jog.

To market, to market to buy a plum bun.
Home again, home again, market is done!

My fourth child came along four years later and he frequently hears his own classic rhyme, repeated by all 5 other members of the family old and young:

Baa Baa Black Sheep, have you any wool?
Yes sir! Yes sir! Three bags full.
One for my master, one for my dame.
One for the little boy who lives down the lane.

Were the experts right?  Of course! It's obvious that babies love language--you've noticed this too. But nursery rhymes?  My babies did love them!  Not only did their special rhymes become a source of joy and comfort to them, but nursery rhymes in general in books and recited spontaneously are indeed loved!  Which books did my daughter request again and again?  Nursery Rhymes!  What do we sing in the car in tandem or untidy non-unison in an effort to comfort, entertain and QUIET the baby down on a long car ride?   Baa Baa Black Sheep of course!  My baby was delighted when I introduced him to Tomie de Paola's book, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and it is still his favorite.

So what is so magical about these sweet rhymes?  Well, everything really, including their classic nature, rhyme, and  the fact that they can be repeated over and over and become a social game and language learning experience for little ones. The number one important aspect of communication is social connection. Nursery rhymes repeated often to children can become social indeed.  Babies may be drawn to the rhyme, but it would appear they also like the rhythm, predictability, sociality and to tie it all together, when repeated often, they love the familiarity of nursery rhymes.

Does it have to be nursery rhymes?  After seeing the classic nursery rhymes at work as a mother, I realized how many of my own personal rhymes and repetitive language sets I used with my first two children without even realizing it.  I read nursery rhymes with all my children but my first son and I also had lots of time alone together so we did lots of chanting and talking and singing and many of these were quirky little homemade songs, including the "open sesame song" for diaper changes.  Not quite as classic as Baa Baa Black sheep, but rhymes and melody were typically both included in my chants and we had lots of engaging social interaction and anticipation, as well as language learning. Plus--we had FUN!   Not into Mother Goose? What else can serve this important piece for your child?  Songs, repetitive poems, or games like This Little Piggy Went to Market can all suit many aspects of these language learning routines. These predictable language games are often called anticipatory sets, (another topic for another day).

Repetitive engaging songs and rhymes make language available for learning for all children, including those with typical language development. If your child shows any signs of speech or language delay this might mean he learns language differently, and increased exposure and explicit teaching through play, including these songs, games and rhymes, can help your child immensely.

Are you rhyming, singing, playing and connecting with your baby, toddler, or child? It is so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment